Villa Lante al Gianicolo
building history survey
Client: Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
Villa Lante al Gianicolo is a Finnish state-owned Renaissance villa located on the Janiculum Hill in Rome. The building has been the home of the Finnish Institute in Rome (Institutum Romanum Finlandiae), as well as the Embassy of Finland to the Holy See since the 1950s.
Villa Lante is one of Rome’s most notable suburban villas. It was commissioned by Baldassare Turini, a trusted and high-ranking official of the Medici popes. Led by Giulio Romano, a young architect and one of Raphael’s pupils, construction of the villa began in the late 1510s and was completed in its entirety in 1534.
Livady’s building-historical survey is the first broad Finnish-language survey of Villa Lante’s architecture, construction and alterations.