restoration and building history survey
Client: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland
Villa Lante al Gianicolo is a Finnish state-owned Renaissance style villa on the Janiculum hill in Rome. The building has been home of the Finnish Institute in Rome, or the Institutum Romanum Finlandiae, as well as the Embassy of Finland to the Holy See since the 1950s.
Villa Lante is one of Rome’s most notable suburban villas. It was commissioned by Baldassare Turini, a trusted and high-ranking official of the Medici popes. Led by Giulio Romano, a young architect and one of Rafael’s pupils, the construction of the villa began in the late 1510s and it was completed in its entirety in 1534.
This report is the first broad Finnish-language survey of Villa Lante’s architecture, construction and alterations.